SHANGHAI April 19th (PROTEXT/ots)
Global seating supplier’s AI17 demonstrator on display at Auto Shaghai
- Cross reference: Picture is available at AP Images (http://www.apimages.com) -
Ushering in a new level of contemporary luxury in autonomous vehicle seating, Adient, the world’s largest global automotive seating supplier, today unveiled its updated AI17 concept demonstrator at Auto Shanghai 2017.
Adient, created when Johnson Controls’ automotive seating business was spun off as an independent company in 2016, shares its vision for how this will be realized through its AI17 demonstrator - updated since its debut at the North American International Auto show in Detroit this past January.
The interior of autonomous vehicles will play an important role as drivers and passengers spend more time on non-driving activities. Once vehicles have the capability to be computer-driven, occupants will demand far more flexibility from the vehicle’s seating and interior space than ever before. Adient’s AI17 showcases solutions for level 3 and level 4 autonomous vehicles that forecast how enjoyable future interiors will be.
"As the leader in automotive seating, our AI17 demonstrator shows how we are embracing the opportunities for innovation afforded by autonomous vehicle technology,” said R. Bruce McDonald, chairman and chief executive officer of Adient. “The concept features innovations that increase interior flexibility; while also providing occupants with higher levels of safety, comfort and convenience.”
“Based on extensive market and consumer research, the products in the demonstrator have been carefully designed with a modular approach to accommodate a wide range of vehicles and enable differentiation by segment,” said Richard Chung, vice president of innovation for Adient.
According to Chung, among the technological innovations included in the AI17 are:
• A rotational base platform that allow seats to “greet” occupants. Drivers and passengers are greeted with personal presets and assisted when entering or exiting the AI17. This “greeting mode” is enabled by a rotational base platform that swivels, so occupants can move freely and can position their seat for the best entry and exit positions.
• The front row seats are designed to comfortably support occupants in reclined seating positions. Adient’s patented “Comfort Shell” seating technology offers a lightweight flexible panel that conforms to the body along the spine and supports the lumbar.
• The cantilevered rear-seat structure optimizes comfort for rear-seat passengers regardless of how they spend their ride time. The rear seat system gives occupants more personal space; provides up to 45 degrees of reclining comfort; includes a privacy shield; and offers an integrated leg rest that stows underneath.
• To carry larger cargo, the rear seat’s cushion frame stows to a thin stadium position to create extra space.
• With legroom being the epitome of luxury in the second row, an integrated leg rest for rear seats is made of spring steel so it flexes with pressure applied by the occupant’s calf.
• The AI17’s “Cushion Console” concept offers a seamless front console that extends into the rear passenger space. This provides riders with a more comfortable armrest and the ability to store small items. A tray table adds extra useable surface for front-seat passengers.
• The dual-sided, front-seat armrest provides support for resting, sleeping and socializing and moves with the body throughout the range of full recline and rotational seat positions.
• The AI17 features both a four-way powered and a manual headrest. The wide front seat’s four-way powered headrest supports the occupant’s head in full reclined and rotated seat positions. The manual four-way headrest incorporates an easy to see and grab handle that assists in properly adjusting the headrest.
Adient’s exhibit in Booth 5BA001, Hall 5.2, National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai) will be open to media and invited guests April 19-20 and to the public through April 28.
Adient is the global leader in automotive seating. With 75,000 employees operating 230 manufacturing/assembly plants in 33 countries worldwide, we produce and deliver automotive seating for all vehicle classes and all major OEMs. From complete seating systems to individual components, our expertise spans every step of the automotive seat making process. Our integrated, in-house skills allow us to take our products from research and design all the way to engineering and manufacturing - and into more than 25 million vehicles every year. For more information on Adient, please visit adient.com.
T.: +49 2174 65-4481
T.: +1 732.254.3372
SENDING PRESS RELEASES
I want to receive press releases with the same keywords as this article:
Transport, cars, motorcycles, aircraft, ships, weapons
Subscribers please note that material bearing the label "PROTEXT" is not part of CTK's news service and is not to be published under the "CTK" label. Protext is a commercial service providing distribution of press releases from clients, who are identified in the text of Protext reports and who bear full responsibility for their contents.